|Berkeley Coachworks produced Caravans and Cars in Hitchin Street, Biggleswade from 1947 to 1960|
|Although they are remembered for the cars that were probably ahead of their time, Berkeley's main|
|business was as a caravan producer.|
|Managing Director Charles Panter (taken behind the Berkeley factory). The Prefabs of Holme Crescent|
|can be seen in the background, also the large buildings of Weatherly/Cincinnati Engineering Factory|
|George Catt at Silverstone|
|The initial production 3-wheel 328c|
|"The Bandit", featuring a Ford 105E engine (this picture was taken in Old Warden)|
|Berkeley dealer Jempsons in Portsmouth|
|Designer Laurie Bond & Berkeley MD Charles Panter|
|Completed caravans awaiting delivery|
|The Caravan Show at Earls Court|
|Publicity photos for the Micro Caravan called the Caravette - shot in the MD's garden & featuring his family|
Moving house: the Berkeley Caravette of 1955
This sales leaflet shows the versatile Berkeley Caravette, designed for the owner of a small car or a motorcycle combination. The Caravette was demountable; the chassis could be used as a trailer. For extra space, there was a specially-designed awning tent.
Charles Panter experimented with a pressed steel tourer, the Berkeley Europa. The model had its problems, however, and production costs were high.
The Argosy, a low-cost model from Berkeley - a distinctive van with curvy lines. The price was kept down by using ‘off-cuts’ from the Berkeley range.
|Sid Durrant at the wheel - Old Warden Aerodrome|
|Excelsior 492cc - Shot at Old Warden|